Coalport Porcelain was manufactured at a prolific rate throughout the 1800’s. All types of Porcelain products were produced
A man called John Rose founded the Company in 1795 and it has been producing fine porcelain of one kind or another since that time.
A wide variety of patterns were used to decorate Coalport pottery including the Coalport Figurines. Initially, on their tableware, a small amount of enamelling was used on a painted or printed blue underglaze. Until the 1820’s they concentrated on simple designs but they also included the Willow Pattern and the Indian Tree Pattern.
During the next decade the decoration on Coalport figurines and tableware became more opulent. They began to use bright colours and gilding that was very highly burnished.
During this time the Company’s most popular decorations were the Japanese patterns which used rich gilt embellishments of red and green over a deep under-glazed blue. They continued to become more sophisticated using richer grounds and colours.
In and around the mid 1840’s Coalport introduced a small amount of Parian statutory. These types of Coalport Figurines were produced in a bisque porcelain which had the appearance of marble. It was named ‘Parian’ after the Greek island ‘Paros’ which was noted for its white Parian marble. It was able to be mass produced as it could be prepared in liquid form and cast in a mould
Coalport Figurines are still produced today and have become very collectable.