It was a young artist named George Tinworth who first developed the art of fashioning Royal Doulton Figurines. The Company had not yet received a Royal Warrant, this was not to come until 1901. However Tinworth was employed by what was then Doulton & Co. in 1867 and was responsible for a Studio, which at its height employed 300 artists, who made terracotta or stoneware figurines and vases.
It all began with a series of Figurines of boys playing as well as young musicians and anthropomorphic animals (anthropomorphic: ascribing human characteristics to non-human beings or objects.)
A Designer called John Broad was the first to model the earliest Royal Doulton Figurines of Ladies. These were Maidens in the classical-style. He also modelled soldiers and members of the Royal Family. He and another Designer, Mark Marshall produced a series of white bisque ‘fair ladies’.
In 1902 Leslie Harradine joined the Company. Amongst other royal doulton figurines based on people he created ‘pretty ladies’ out of slip cast stoneware.
Thus began the tradition of the Royal Doulton Figurines. The Lady Figurines, or Pretty Ladies, as they are known have become very popular and very Collectable.